zOMG. That was quite probably the best movie I've seen all year. Including Iron Man. I can't begin to explain how much fun that flick was. I strongly recommend that you borrow kids to take with you, or to see it during the day when kids are there - not because you need them, but because the only thing that could have been better would have been to see kids laughing and responding to it rather than the smattering of adults in the theatre late on a weekday night.
I caught the following tropes/references on the first time through, and this is just a smattering of the total I'm sure (some minor spoilers):
- Cockroaches and Twinkies will survive us.
- Macintosh II boot chord.
- Almost all of 2001, including:
- Red-lit camera lens on:
- Potentially hostile ship control computer
- Also Sprach Zarathustra all over da place
- Secret Orders to the computer
- Open the Pod Bay Doors, Hal
- Possibly a Silent Running homage
- All kinds of Apple references besides the boot chime (an iPod, Macintalk, etc.)
- Galaxy Quest (hint: ship's computer)
- Classic Star Wars scene (hint: I had everything under control until...)
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home reference (hint: "Computer...?")
...and these, as I said, are but a few.
Wow. Just...wow. And the short beforehand? As close to a Looney Toon as anything I've seen since the originals.
That was a good night at the movies.
Posted by jbz at July 3, 2008 12:41 AM